Sixth Form Courses
Sixth Form Prospectus
At Three Rivers Academy Sixth Form, we offer students a broad and flexible range of options. Here are the main points you need to know about the subjects and courses we offer.
- From September 2017 the vast majority of A-level subjects are now linear. This means that all examinations are sat at the end of the two year course.
- Examinations will be sat at the end of the first year of study and if successfully completed will allow students to progress to the second year of the A-level course. An E grade is usually the minimum requirement for progression on to the second year of the course.
- Each Level 3 BTEC course is equivalent to one A-level. A full triple award Level 3 BTEC course is equivalent to 3 A-levels in terms of the programme of study and a double award is equivalent to 2 A-levels. Many universities now accept BTEC courses as full A-level equivalents.
- Level 2 courses are the equivalent of GCSEs.
To provide flexibility in what we offer and cater to students varying strengths and needs, students can choose to follow one of three pathways:
A Level Pathway - For students wishing to take three or four A-levels. This pathway is accessible to students who have achieved a minimum of five A*-C GCSE grades (or equivalent i.e. grade 9 to 4) including English and Mathematics.
BTEC L3 Pathway - For students wishing to take three Level 3 BTEC courses. This pathway is accessible to students who have achieved a minimum of five A*-C GCSE grades (or equivalent) regardless of subjects.
Mixed L3 Pathway - For students wishing to take a combination of A-levels and BTEC Level 3 courses. This pathway is accessible to students that have achieved a minimum of five A*-C GCSE grades (or equivalent) regardless of subjects.
The full list of courses we are offering for September 2017 is:
- A Level Art Textiles
- A Level Biology
- A Level Business
- A Level Chemistry
- A Level Classical Civilisations
- A Level Design Technology Product Design
- A Level Drama and Theatre
- A Level Economics
- A Level English Language and Literature
- A Level English Literature
- A level Fine Art
- A Level French
- A Level Further Mathematics
- A Level Geography
- A Level Government Politics
- A Level History
- A Level Law
- A Level Mathematics
- A Level Media Studies
- A Level Music
- A Level Photography
- A Level Physics
- A Level Psychology
- A Level RS Philosophy Ethics
- A Level Sociology
- A Level Spanish
- BTEC Computing and Computing Tech Level
- BTEC Enterprise Entrepreneurship
- BTEC Information Technology
- Environmental Science Diploma Extended Diploma
- Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Performing Arts
- Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Sport and Physical Activity
- Level 3 Quantitative Problem Solving Mathematics
In addition to these Level 3 courses, we also offer students the opportunity to re-sit GCSE English and Mathematics. This is a requirement for any students who did not achieve a grade 4 at GCSE and timetabled lessons will be offered to support students in achieving this benchmark.